My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Monday 12 August 2013

Telegraph Poles

Greetings amici miei,


Hope you are all well.
As I am waiting for my folding tables to come (and since my budget is stretched to Its outmost limit), I came up with the idea to make some Telegraph poles.

As you may already know, if you search through the web, there are plenty of options available. The most characteristic product is Dapol’s CO24 - Telegraph poles.
Even though they are a bit old in terms of manufacture date, they are considered as good models and most of all budget friendly. However, since I am a rather selfish sod, I decided to make some (well they came out 50 of them) by myself.


The materials I used were the following:


  • Bamboo skewers
  • 5 cent coins (2.5 euro / cost - a small expense for their stability) - used as bases
  • Thin balsa strips (1mm) - two per pole
  • Small cylindrical (very small actually - 4 piece/pole) piece of cotton buds holders (the little white ones you’ll see placed on top of the vertical balsa strips)
  • Sand
  • PVA glue
  • Static grass


Below you see the fruits of my efforts. If you take out the time I spent I needed to make fifty of them (I know, I exaggerated once more), it was very easy to make them, and they should fit nicely on every WW2 tabletop.







For this reason I prepared for you a small present, a video showing them placed next to my home made Normandy houses, whilst Panzers are on the move, seeking to burn some Allies’ Shermans (I’ve been experimenting with Photoshop - stay tuned, something big will show up...)!





Vroom vroom everyone! :)



I hope you like it.

Have a great Monday night everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Great! I was recently writing an illustrated tutorial for making 28mm ones. But you beaten me ... :)

    They look great!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cotton bud idea is brilliant!

    I like your video Thanos. I do hope your photoshop involves seeing these tanks blow something to kingdom come. BOOM BOOM!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done that man, these are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and product, Mr. T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea. How would these work for the Eastern Front?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work Thanos! A great addition to your town!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work there T, I've seen people use small beeds where you have used the cotton buds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Thanos,

    great work.
    Those poles are looking really nice and the video is great.

    Cheers
    Monty

    ReplyDelete