My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Friday, 8 June 2012

Wooden Road Obstacles

Good day guys!

In case you haven't noticed, today it's Friday!
Because of that, I was in the appropriate mood yesterday night to finish my scratch built wooden road obstacles from bamboo skewers.
Below you will find the photos that deal with the painting of these model pieces and in the end, you'll find some additional photos of them, used in real time on the field of battle (well, it will be in 20mm scale, but you know what I mean - I hope). :-)


in my last post, you saw these road obstacles in their prime phase, only assembled and glued.

In the next phase, dark brown emulsion paint was applied on the models (and their bases too). The bases (vinyl tiles) were covered with PVA glue and fine sand (I don't have a photo - I apologize for that).

Next, some lighter brown (again emulsion) paint was applied on the bases only, with the drybrush method.

After that, some tan (emulsion) paint was applied again on the bases - drybrush (light).

For the models, I used some Vallejo's Panzer Aces' 310 Old wood paint, and again, by drybrushing them, I started highlighting the extreme surfaces of the wood trunks.

The last and final step of painting the models (dark brown - old wood), was to use some VMC Green Grey. Again with the drybrush method (but only lighter this time), I gave the final highlight on the wood trunks. I repeat, - light drybrushing.

Well, that was it...I now had to add some greenery on the bases and in the end, this is how they turned out:

The Germans have placed these obstacles on the road, in order to divert the route of the Russian Armor phalanx. The Russians could perhaps, overcome these obstacles with the KV-1's, alongside with the T34-76's but they didn't want to take the chance of confronting Germans equipped with Panzerfausts....

However, that didn't mean that the Germans haven't thought of that possibility. After all, those were the ones that placed the obstacles in the first place....

Poor Russians..... will they get through? Or will they fertilize the soil of the Motherland with their bodies?

I hope you found this mini tutorial - semi A.A.R, interesting. As you see, it wasn't very difficult to make these little models.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a good one (w/e) guys! :-)


Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Wooden Road Obstacles - W.I.P

Good day folks,

Last evening while I was reading a history book, for WW2 I came up with the idea, that besides the buildings and the monuments that make a city, it's the obstacles and the booby traps that make the city fortified.
With this in mind, I tried to make some road obstacles, made from wood (trunks of trees). Ι used some bamboo skewers for the task, 5 pieces of vinyl tiles, PVA glue and a metal file. In an hours' work that was the result:

Some small parts (cut and trimmed) for strengthening the vertical pieces.

And two photos with a 20mm figure beside them for reference.

Dimensions: L: 5.5 cm - H: 2.7 cm - W (with the base): 2.5cm.
I now have to add some sand on the bases and paint the whole lot.

Stay tuned for the finished products!! :-)
Have a nice day folks, from sunny and warm Athens.

P.S: Any ideas of how to make bases of smoke (e.g explosions, smoke grenades etc.)??? Τhx in advance!

Monday, 4 June 2012

Italeri #6107 Pz III Ausf. J.

Good day folks!

A sunny Monday, made its appearance here in Athens. :-) Summer is finally approaching.
Last night I finally to finish the last models I bought some days ago (see related post), which were Italeri's Pz III Ausf J, 'snap-kit'.
(Histoy of Pz III - in wikipedia).
Based on the versions of these AFV's I decided to go with an early-war painting scheme. German Grey (VMC 70.995) was the answer for it. Different shades of grey were then used for highlighting them. The models came together very easily and their level of detail was more than adequate - in terms of wargaming.
One is equipped with an 5cm KwK 38 cannon and the other with 7.5cm KwK 40 cannon.
I used some spare decals I had, since this kit doesn't provide any (sth that needs to be addressed by Italeri, for us mere wargamers).

On with the photos:

I hope you like 'em!